Monday, June 1, 2009

DAY 13: May 30- Kampala

***First off, I am sorry I am a few days behind on my blog. For this reason I will only give the key moments of my day.

So today half the group when on a service learning trip to a village to learn about Water Source, and the other half went with the Manry family to Kampala (to visit the city and to see the Manry’s soon to be son.. John Paul a little Ugandan baby they are adopting). I was on the Kampala trip (I would be doing my service learning about the Mvule Project on Monday).

After heading to the Manry’s before we left from Kampala and chilling out there for an hour, it was time to start our journey. It was about a 2 hour one by Matatu. During the long ride we played the game.. “So (Insert Name Here), you were born, then what happened?!” Basically we all gave our life stories. It’s a really good way to bond. BTW.

When we FINALLY got to Kampala, we arrived to the Nursery Home (orphanage) to see John Paul and the other kids. We could barely get both feet in the building without a little boy or girl running up to us and wanting to be picked up. The first boy I picked up squeezed me with all of his might. He just didn’t want to be let go of.. basically it broke my heart, because these kids just wanted to be loved. They were so desperate for someone just to play with them or hold them. After staying there for about 15 to 20 minutes it was time for us to leave. But every time I put the boy down that I was holding he just put his arms out and gave me this sad face.. so of course I picked him up again... this happened about 4 times before I finally got the courage to leave him.. those kids.. so full of life.. and so ready to just be held. I would take them all home if I could. Adoption is looking more and more like a possibility for my future.

Next we went to a mall. It was basically Kampala’s attempt to imitate an American Mall, and they did a pretty good job of it. We went to NYK (New York Kitchen) for lunch. I got a huge slice of pizza and split a Caesar salad. Fish and Paul didn’t realize that the pizzas were 18 inches and they order one pizza to split between the two of them.. when they saw the pizza their faces looked dumbfounded. HA it was so funny! Anyways I got to sit next to Luke and Connor during lunch.. and oh wow those boys like to talk. They had more stories to tell me then anyone I know.

Next we went to a really cool store in the mall.. that even sold coffee that was made at THE SOURCE. How cool was that… that the coffee that the Source produces was sold in this store. Bomb diggity! Next it was off to the craft market. It was an outside area that had all these little stores. After we were done, we walked over to this coffee place called 100 Cups. It was a little unique coffeeshop.. but by this time, I was exhausted. Practically falling asleep.

On the ride home, it started raining like no other. I mean it was the hardest rain I’ve ever been in. Plus our Matatu seemed a little or a lot shady, which made the ride even more sketch. We had to squeeze in the front few rows of the Matatu because it was leaking water all over the back of the Matatu. (Our driver even had a bag contraption set up.. that would just leak water when it was full).

Finally, 2 hours later, we were home. We got back late.. it was like a 10 hour day.. and we had a late dinner around 8 pm. After dinner, Bayli and I hung out with people in our room (party like always) and then talked to Tom for a while… Man I heart Tom. He is such a good guy and cracks me up all the time with his awesome stories and accent. He thinks I’m crazy… and all he does is laugh at me (in a good way). And I like it. 

1 comment:

  1. Ill have Panamanian children and you will have African children...

    ReplyDelete