Monday, June 1, 2009

DAY 14: May 31- Church

I can’t believe its Sunday already. It feels like yesterday that I was going to the Anglican Church. Although the days are long, the weeks go by fast. Today for church we were going to the Jinja Church of Christ (CoC.. is so Pepperdine) that is held in our very own Source Café. But instead of going into the Source Café it is actually behind it, in a semi open space that has a roof built on top. At first we thought we were late, but its African time, so 10 am really means at least 10:30 am. When we arrived it seemed like our group was 95% of the congregation. Of course people trickled in late, so by the half way mark there was a lot more people.

The church started with greetings and a whole lot of worship songs like at least 6 or 7. I love worship time. Especially because I knew a few of the songs slash they are easy to pick up on unless they were in Lusoga. Then Minister Richard came up after the prayer. He spoke about a drunken woman who had many sins, who even accidentally killed her baby because she was drunk. When she finally declared her sins at this “crusade” as he was calling it, she was sobbing and feeling the Lord’s presence. (Sorry, this isn’t that descriptive, I know there was a lot more to this story, but its been over a day and I was slightly tired in the morning).

After he spoke it was time for communion. The bread we ate were little pieces of CHAPATTI! And they even used those same plastic clear cups that we use in the States. After communion there was an offering purse. Yes it looked like a purse and praying. Next, it was time for FOOD AUCTION. That’s right. Basically, people that have extra crops or just want to give to the church, will donate a crop and they will auction it at church to raise more money for the church. So the first item was a box of beans! It went for 6000 shillings. Next was one (a single) avocado that went for 10,000 shillings. If you are trying to remember the math that is 5 US dollars. (Normally an avocado goes for 300 to 500 shillings.. so I hope it was a good one. And actually both of the items were bought by different missionary families (Mark and Lori got the beans and Spencer and Emily got the avocado).

If that wasn’t interesting enough during church, we got to see a Baptism! So let me try to explain how this goes down. There is a slight stage (made of just the concrete the floor is made of.. there is just a few steps to make it a stage. But isn’t of the concrete going all the way to the back of the church, there is a space between the stage area and the wall. You can see that they store chairs, metal rods, wood planks, or anything they else they need to store in the space. But also in the space is like a bathtub like thing for the baptism.  After Richard asked the two teenagers 2 questions regarding their belief in Jesus Christ. They went to the tub and were dunked in the water backwards (like usually). But still.. it was just cool to see a baptism.. although its miles and miles away from home, its comforting to know that people still make that life change and symbolize it using the same methods. God is good!

Next, we had to introduce ourselves. Then we sang them a song.. These are the Days of Elijah! HA it was fun. After church was over, they prepared a special meal for us. It was rice, cabbage, and pieces of beef. But when I say they prepared for us.. they prepared a lot…like a sickening amount.. I wish I could describe the MOUND of food that was piled on each plate, but you would have had to be there to even believe me and not think I was exaggerating.. anyways. We had to eat with our hands.. so that’s fun. Then my competitive side came out.. and I challenged Tom. I thought I could finish it.. but I was really really wrong. He tried to encourage me “Have the faith, clear the mountain” was his exact words. Yup. It’s going up on my wall when I get home.. like my inspirational quote… anyways at the end I felt ILL. Then it was time to walk home and walk off the 10 pounds I gained from lunch.

Then I took a 4 hour nap. SIESTA. Dinner… yah I didn’t eat that much.. kinda still ill from lunch. Then it was to the Manry’s house for some CHAI TEA yum! So good. Another game of psychiatrist with Bobby in the center.. and the usual playing with the kids. After a few hours it was back home, a cold shower, and my paper for class. Another day finished.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. cant believe you are 14 days in. honestly you cant get behind on the blog brit... I count on it every day!! love the story about kampala... i got a dress in that market and I CANNOT believe that the manrys are adopting... thats AMAZING!! so fun for them and their crazy bunch!! and uganda coc... haha SO pepperdine. LOVE YOU!!! your amazing descriptions take me back to all of my favorite moments!! enjoy it brit you are halfway there... AHH!! see you soo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was looking through your blogs to see if anyone else commented... Mer just topped mine for sure... thats why im leaving this. I didnt reread this day so i have no idea what you did.... but I know that i love you and miss you. And i am looking at sectional couches for us! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete