Friday, June 5, 2009

DAY 19: June 5- Beam of Hope

Today, I woke up to a surprise at breakfast.. instead of toast it was CHAPATTI! I know right?! So that was fun. Then it was time to read my textbook.. while our sink flooded our bathroom (there was a leak that just got worse.. but don’t worry its fixed now). Then it was off to lunch (we crammed 13 people into Ben’s 7 person car.. which included 2 car seats… TIA this is Africa ..there is always room for one more.. as they like to say).

A few of us decided to have lunch at the Source.. basically my favorite place. I have my guac chicken wrap and a SAMOSA.. yum so good. And seriously they are 500 shillings. That is 25 cents.. can you believe that.. you can’t even get a gumball from the gumball machine for that little anymore. I LOVE THIS PLACE. After hanging around the Source, talking to Mark, and playing with his kids… (Oh Tessa you are so cute).. A group of us decided to go back to The Beam of Hope, hoping that the guys would be there this time (no pun intended).

They were. SCORE. So we talked with a large group of them.. There was a new guy named John.. and the guy I thought was called Jeff was actually Sylvester. We talked about our lives, hung out, and then helped him with his computer homework once the electricity came back on. Can I also add that their Microsoft homework is dang hard.. like for real.. anyways… After getting his email and giving him mine, it was time to say goodbye until Monday. We took Pikis back home.. and well they practically raced all the way home.. quite scary to be honest.. they go really fast.

Then we decided to go the the orphanage that is across the street. WOW. Kids.. they are so so so cute! Just like the one in Kampala, they just want lovin. If I could pick favorites then I would pick this little boy in this red shirt named Nathan. Oh he was adorable.. but I don’t pick favorites so I loved them all… I pulled them in wagons, picked them up, carried them, and even just sat with them on my lap. It was way cool, fun, and so cute. Also, there were a lot of American students helping out as well. They just came over to Africa and decided to live there and help with the children.. Bayli and I even met an LMU Pi Phi. HA what are the chances.. after about an hour and a half it was time for dinner.. saying goodbye is always the worst. The entire orphanage just broke out in burst of crying fits… Practically our entire group came.. so that was about 15 babies that were no longer being held or played with… so sad.. but its okay ill be back on Monday. 

Then it was dinner and class… and time to get ready for my village bonding experience…wrote down a few words to say in case they ask me to say something at church.. dot dot dot.. pray for me?! It’s going to be EXCITING and challenging and I’m ready.. well I’m ready as I’ll ever be.. so talk to you all in a few days!!!!!

 

1 comment:

  1. I think that by you saying... if I could choose a favorite it would be.... you are actually choosing a favorite... way to go

    Pi Phis just attract each other.

    ReplyDelete