Wednesday, June 3, 2009

DAY 17: June 3- Island, Part 2

Let’s just call the second day of the island my spiritual awakening. It started with the night before when we had decided that we would all wake up early to watch the sunrise. So the boys came in at 6 am to wake us girls up. We all crawled out of bed and walked to this hill to watch the sunrise over the line of trees. Before I knew it, tears were starting to fall down my check and I was walking away from the group without a sound. Something inside of me was aching, something inside of me was telling me I needed to get away from the group and be by myself.. (maybe I should say Someone). I went back to the cabin grabbed a towel, my Bible, my journal and my ipod. I put on some worship music and sat down by the water.

I stared out at the beautifulness of the water, the trees, and all living creatures. I let God take me. I was broken. For so long I had been in a slump waiting for this.. waiting for this moment. And the tears didn’t stop. I started prayer journaling.. about everything in my life.. and about everyone from my friends to family to the rest of the students on this trip to even the people in my life that were no longer part of my life. I praised God for this opportunity and for His almighty power. I asked for forgiveness and thanked Him for saving me. Six pages later… I signed it “love, Brittany,” and opened my Bible.

I had been thinking for awhile that I want to start reading the Bible, I mean from cover to cover. I have never done that but I realized it was something that NEEDS to be done multiple times in a Christian’s life. The Word of God, the book that tells us all about our loving and protecting Father.. How can we not read it? I had planned on reading it starting when I got back so I could read it at the same time as someone else (not physically read it with someone else just the same passages each day), so we could keep each other accountable cause I know it gets tough… but that morning, something in me lead me to Genesis. And there it was: the creation story… just the two chapters I read reminded me and taught me more than I ever thought possible. Especially since I’ve read and heard the story so many times since I was a little girl. But I have learned that in different times and for different people, God reveals what He knows is needed. I could go on for hours about that morning.. about the tears, about where God led me, about what he taught me, but I also realize that a few paragraphs in a blog would never do it justice. But I will leave you with one thing that really stuck out to me was that we are all God’s creatures. Although he made man superior by giving us the ability to name the plants and animals and he gave us the job of taking care of the earth, we are all God’s creatures. What makes the ant crawling on my foot so much less important than the sun rising in sky. God made everything, every person. We all have a place in His heart.. He loves every creature just as He loves me.

I have been struggling to realize that I am no better than anyone else. I have been struggling to accept people as they are. I have been struggling with judging others. And how many times has God reminded me that, that is not my place, that he loves the annoying boy and superficial girl just as much as He loves me. Really, the passages reminded me that we are all His creatures, all guilty of the same sin (just in different forms). And we are all in different points in our spiritual journey. That morning God opened my eyes, and He placed a renewed fire in my heart, one that I hope to keep burning. And it was a morning I will not soon forget. 

(Ps. For my friends and family who are reading this.. you know who you are.. we most def will have dates later to discuss further.. and to the people who just read a whole lot about something they don’t understand or don’t really care about.. well I’m sorry, but at the same time I’m not, because this is who I am.. and I would also love to talk more about this if you wanted).

The truth is, is that I needed this time. It’s hard to explain except maybe saying I just had a conviction to give all my attention, open my ears, and receive what God has been trying to tell me. I know that should be a 24/7 thing, but let's get real, I am human. But I am blessed and so thankful for His ever-present love and guidance, and His ability to just place peace in my heart.. After my cry fest slash emo time, it was time to get ready for the day. Then I grabbed my book (thanks to Meredith to letting me borrow on my trip) “Traveling Light” by Max Lucado to read. Another blessing from God. So many great points about resting in the Lord, not worrying about tomorrow, and reminding me that God has His perfect timing. It was just what I needed.

Then.. God continued to work in my heart and gave Bayli and I the opportunity to take our friendship to a whole other level focused on God. We had about a 30 min or hour heart to heart about what God has been teaching us within the last day or two. I feel blessed that God put Bayli on this trip and I feel blessed that she opened up to me. We talked about our struggles and our “light bulb moments,” and everything else in between. Again.. it was a God moment for sure.

Then it was lunch, hangout time (with the group as well as with the kids and the missionary families.. had some good conversations with Lori about parenting and God.. she even brought up the creation story.. um duh.. God moment considering I read it that morning), boat, and then Matutu back home. Although it was raining the ride home was a lot shorter, plus I fell asleep a few times. Back at the Gately meant SHOWER and DINNER. Then it was girls night out at Candace’s and Bobby’s place. We ate a cookie cake, Italian breadstick popcorn (yup I just said that and it was GOOD. She used the same spices and herbs that you put on a breadstick on the popcorn). We talked and then watched “The Holiday,” such a good movie. I even forgot that I was in Africa for a second. But it was a really great time just to relax and hang out. Perfect closing to the night… until I found a worm on my mosquito net as I was falling asleep..  yah.. dealt with that and then it was time for sleep. 

2 comments:

  1. God has the best shoulder to lean on... So glad you had a great experience this day... I hope your heart stays on fire! And you have the people you love around you to help keep it aflame!

    Remember.. our God is an awesome God, He reigns from heaven above, with wisdom power and love, our God is an awesome God

    ReplyDelete