Saturday, May 30, 2009

DAY 12: May 29- Shopping

*** HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY LAUREN! I'm sorry I missed your special day! But I was with you in spirit the entire day and the entire day after (since we are in different time zones!). Also I already bought your gifts so don't worry! I LOVE YOU! 

Breakfast. Reading. Lunch at the Source. Guacamole Chicken Wrap using Chapatti! YES. So freaking good.. and “chips” of course, you know French fries! So good. Since it was our free day, we had the whole afternoon free until dinner and class. That is a lot of free time that we didn’t know what to do with. SO. What did I do? GO SHOPPING. Ha.. Typical girl. So Rachel and I went to the craft store in The Source. I bought like $50 worth of stuff… like 50 US dollars. I know. I was surprised too.. I guess my friends and family are just lucky I love them so much!!! I would list what I bought, but that would kill the surprise, so I won’t.

Next we met up with some more people at The Source and decided to shop some more but on Main Street. After walking for a few minutes, we realized that these two little street boys were following us. They always hang around The Source, hold out their hand, and say “give me money.” (I learned from the missionaries that there is no word for “please” in Lusoga.) So I turned to them and… whipped out the slap bracelets. And soon as they saw what they could do, their faces lit up like always. They were precious and they no longer asked for money. They just smiled at us and kept on looking back at us when we walked away… so cute like always.

Okay. So more shopping. What did I learn? I am very bad at bargaining. My friends had to do it for me. (I guess I’m just too nice?! Or I don’t like conflict?! Or it’s just cause I have the money to pay full price?!)  Basically at the end of the day.. I spent a lot more money then I thought.. I’m the reason that the Jinja economy was sustained for the day.. I know it.

Since it was raining, we took the Matatu home. Then I had a little nap and dinner. Then it was time for class. Mark Moore who is really good friends with G. Sebs and helped him start the program came and talked to us. He reminded us that we need to focus on having a testimony and not just chase after wealth or a job.. but chase after the Lord. He said that in Africa we have to opportunity to stretch ourselves.. to make it part of our testimony. He then told us about this product called “Mana” he is starting, which is going to compete with the product called “plumpynuts” which basically uses peanut butter to save people’s lives.. however he is making his company a non profit.. It’s a really awesome idea/product that has the potential to save so many lives, so check it out..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/19/60minutes/main3386661.shtml

2 comments: