Friday, May 22, 2009

DAY 4- May 21: Jinja!

Dear Friends,

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of thunder and rain. And I don’t mean baby rain I mean it was pouring cats and large dogs, however is some calming way it was almost nice. I also woke up in a puddle of my own sweat.. I guess the weather and the princess nets (which trapped the heat in) cause my temperature to be quite high.

After waking up a few times, Bayli and I finally got up at 8 am. Breakfast was served at 8 am. So we cruised into breakfast about 8:10 am to find ourselves being the very last 2 people to arrive. I mean, we are college students… were we really the last ones to get there?! We were only 10 minutes late (and not even late, because you didn’t have to get there at 8 am that’s just when it started) but its all good. For breakfast we had pineapple (which is the BOMB here), watermelon (which I didn’t try), toast, jam, baby bananas, a very strong mango/orange drink, tea, and coffee (which I heard was very good and also very strong.. like people were shaking all morning strong).

Next, I went outside to do some reading for class in the beautiful grounds of the Gately. Next we had our orientation. Professor Selby opened us up with a little bit from Psalms reminding us how great and majestic the Lord is especially with our opportunity to be in a place like Africa and the Gately. Then we played the Human Knot Game (the one that every kid has probably played at camp or maybe even in Panama with the orphans J but it is the game where you grab hands and then you have to untangle yourselves). Normally this game last 5-15 minutes depending on how many people you have and how tangled you are.. yah.. it took us 30 minutes, and I’m pretty sure there was a little bit of hand switching at the end there. But, it fulfilled its purpose of bringing us all closer together.

Then we played imaginary show and tell in order to get to know each other. So we had to pick 4 things that are essential to who we are or help to describe us. Mine were as follows:

1. The Bible (do I even have to explain this one? I’m going to say no)

2. My Ipod (because music can always calm me down, I love listening to worship music and going on runs at night-it’s one way I connect with God, music can also pump me up, and I love to dance!)

3. Insect Repellent (represents my new love for traveling. Switzerland and Europe was an amazing experience, but I picked Insect repellent, because I have found a new place in my heart for more third world countries. Ones that are less comfortable, ones that I need bug spray for)

4. Grandma’s cooking (because it represents family. We all know I am very close to my family and I love spending time with them. I love that we gather together and we eat delicious food. I love that its never JUST family, there are always friends. So grandma’s cooking reminds me of family, friends, laughter, and love that I so dearly crave)

  Finally, Mark Manry one of the missionaries told us a little bit about our schedules for our time here and some details about life in Uganda. After lunch we took our taxi (that supposedly they hired just for us to use) into town to have lunch at The Source. The Source is this awesome Internet café that the missionaries (from the U.S.) own and run. It is this awesome place that not only serves food, but behind it owns a large open space that is use for church as well as for other groups to use if needed. Basically, it is what we (as in the Hom family girls) have dreamed of wanting to do.. but in Uganda.

  Lunch was delicious, I had chicken and avocado wrapped in Chapatti (sp?) which is like a greasy tortilla served with “chips” aka large fries. It was SOOOOOO good.. (I mean it would be good for those of you that like avocados.. or guacamole!) 

Bobby (another member of “the team” as they like to call themselves) spoke to us about our service learning portion of our time here. My group had the choice between an AIDS counseling place and to work at The Source (however, in the end we are going to be able to try out all of the different options).  I would be working at The Source tomorrow.

Next was our walk to the market. This is what animals at the zoo must feel like (minus the cages). People stared at us with stern faces. Cultural difference #1 (well probably not #1, but it doesn’t matter): Ugandans and maybe I can generalize that to Africans.. but maybe not.. they like to stare and it is not rude or uncalled for in any way. Staring is completely accepted and is normal for them. I felt quite awkward. I tried my best to smile at everyone. Sometimes they broke out of their stern faces and pleasantly greeted me, other times my smile did nothing.

  Before we got to the market we exchanged some money. Don’t worry that $1 is equal to 2000 shillings (which is even better of an exchange rate than when last years students went!). Later I will put this into more of a perspective for you.

The market is basically Jinja’s version of a mall. It has everything and everyone is selling the same stuff. And when I say everything I mean clothes from Europe and America, shoes, bras, boxers, live animals, raw meat, fruit, vegetables, beans, sugar, hammers, irons, soap, and even fried crickets (which yes indeed I tried.. it kind of tasted like a fried egg that was over fried… dot dot dot.. yah. I mean I’m in Africa so I basically had to). Honestly, anything you want you could get at the market.

It’s a crowded place with many many many people. Sitting by their little areas. Just lines and lines of stuff all crowded together with a slight gutter dug out in the dirt ground for sewage. Basically, it was very intimidating even though I was walking with 2 other girls and one of the missionaries, Candace. Some people greeted us in English, some asked me if I was Chinese, and other just stared. After leaving the market and being slightly dazed and overwhelmed we walked about the town and Candace gave us our own personal tour basically.

Finally, after we were exhausted from walking around the town, learning about Jinja’s history (which includes learning about the Indian presence in Jinja), and passing the more authentic African stores on Main Street (not DLand’s Main Street, but Jinja’s), the three of us decided to go back home. So we found some Boda Boda drivers (the bicycles) and decided to have our first real adventure. Candace was there to see us off. She told them to take us to the Gately, but they said they didn’t know where to go?! Which is supposedly very strange because earlier the missionaries said that everyone knows where the Gately is. So we had to get directions from Candace and my friend Bayli had to tell her guy where to turn.

Also to paint you a little picture. Bodas have a little seat on top of the back tire, behind the driver’s seat. There is nowhere to hold on, and because I was wearing a skirt, I had to do a little side saddle.  Basically I tried to hold on to the bar under his seat with both my hands but quickly realized that was not at all stable. I was scared that I was just going to have to jump off because I felt so unbalanced. I finally moved one of my hands to hold the side of my seat so I was evenly holding on to something on both sides of me that helped slightly… but with every bump and ditch in the ground I was shaky and I know that my driver was laughing to his buddies about me, especially since he had to try to balance the both of us. (did I mention that my boda boda was the oldest of our group’s?!) In the end I made it safely to the Gately! And I paid 500 shillings… that’s right if you did the math that is 25 cents.. all I can say is BOMB.

Back at the Gately it was more reading for class, and then dinner. Fish masala (makes sense with the Indian influence here), salad, steamed rice, and vegetable penne. Very good. Then it was time for my first Intercultural Communication class, which I know will be a little tough because to have each class after a long day will be difficult. It will also be very interesting and I think I will learn a lot. Interesting Topic of the Class: There are practical, personal, and moral reasons to study intercultural communications, but there are also theological reasons. Just like God became flesh in the form of His son Jesus, we too should put ourselves in other cultures, so we can try to fully understand and relate to them. By studying and participating in intercultural communications, we have the opportunity to follow God’s lead. Think  about it… Trippy to think about isn’t it?!

Finally, I showered (in cold water and again battled the shower plastic shower curtain) and tried to get on the internet to post this blog, but it didn’t work. Thus, I am still a day behind. Maybe tomorrow I will have better luck.

 

Love, Brittany 

2 comments:

  1. B, I just love the food descriptions! Especially of the fried cricket...because of course it would be like an over fried egg..... of course!

    Peace and Health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. take good notes...so when you come back you can share everything you learned in class..esp the intercommunications one?
    and the cafe...siiick. God is so oranized. I love you!

    ReplyDelete