Wednesday, May 20, 2009

DAY 2- May 19: United Airlines + London.

Dear Friends, 

Finally, after a LONG flight, we arrived in London (too bad we didn't even realize that we weren't even half way done with our traveling). We had a 12 hour lay over in London so we decided to leave the airport. However, we weren't allowed to leave for 4 hours until our visiting professor arrived to London. So, like any typical college students, we started a game of Mafia. I was paired up to be Mafia during the first game and was also the first "townsperson" to get killed. It was a short game for me, but I wasn't too bummed. I was tired, plus my Mafia team member won the game. Lesson: Sometimes you have to sacrifice for the greater good. 

While we were playing, the London security guard told us the floor was dirty... he didn't tell us to get off the floor, but he was pretty clear that he didn't like us sitting on the ground since it was so "dirty" and they had "provided seats for a reason." To this day we aren't sure if that was his way of asking us to get up or if he was actually concerned about us. Also, while we were playing a random man sitting in the Costa Cafe (the British Starbucks) next to us was watching our every move. Yes, his head was completely turned in our direction and he was staring. Did I mention that he was sitting maybe 5 feet away from us at the most. He would even smirk sometimes. I loved it. I can see it now, "Pepperdine Students providing entertainment for people all over the world from Malibu to London."

Anyways, who would have thought that I would be in back in Europe just a year after I studied abroad. God is good. We took the Tube to the Pepperdine London house and got to visit the students participating in the London Internship Program including one of my very close friends Meredith Grant (who also happen to be one of the students who participated in the East Africa Program last year). It was such a blessing to see her and some of my other friends in this slightly chance reunion. She took us around London, we had Fish and Chips at the local bar "Bunches of Grapes," saw Big Ben, the London Eye, took a Double Decker, walked through a beautiful park and I think we even did more than that. It was such a wonderful break in our traveling to visit the beautiful city of London and fellowship with friends. Meredith gave me the last low down on my trip to Africa, told me she wished she could go back, and sent me off with a book to read while I was there. 

We took the Tube back to the airport. And it was off to Kenya on an 8 hour plane ride... on Kenya Air! (which is much nicer than United, we even got a warm towelette). As we were sitting waiting for the plane to depart, I heard a male's voice screaming from the back of the plane. It sounded like shrieks of pain. I looked back to see 4 policemen. Supposedly, he was shackled and taken out through the back of the plane. I guess he was being deported from the UK or something, but most definitely not a comforting first moments of our trip to Kenya. 

Day 2 probably ended some time during the flight, but at least I slept more during this flight. Plus I was one my way to Africa this time- EVEN BETTER. Thanks again for tuning in.. see Day 3 for my first glimpse of AFRICA!

Love, 
Britt

ps. Happy Birthday Dad! You don't look a day over 36! 

6 comments:

  1. Mafia... oh man you are obsessed. I'll never forget how mad you got at me when you found out I really WAS mafia in Panama. Glad our friendship survived after that.

    PS You are so detailed... I feel like I am there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your response to the shreiking man in shackles was amazing! (sleeping) What a begining to an exciting adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRIT!! It was so great to have you in london :) I am so happy for you to soak up jinja... tell me everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UPDATE YOUR BLOG! It's been so long!

    I'm sure Meredith convinced you London is the best city in the world? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brit,
    After living off and one in the UK for two years, "the dirty floor" was the security guard's way of telling you guys to move...they are not as direct as people in California(smile). It's probably good that you did not understand him so that you would not take offense.
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete