Sunday, December 8, 2013

Reflections on my Ethiopian Experience


I’ve been back for over a week now… and I finally have started to digest my experience in Ethiopia. As I’ve gone back to work, I’ve thought of Ethiopia, the people, and the culture a lot… plus I’ve been e-mailing with Abayneh and Wondiamagn. J

Makanisa School for the Deaf:

First, I’ve been thinking and reflecting on the School for the Deaf. I don’t think I blogged too much about it, but it definitely deserves some blog and reflection time. While I was visiting the Director of the Church of Christ Makanisa School for the Deaf I came across a board with their mission statement, vision, and goals. First under the words, there were these three words: Educational, Development, Programme. Mission: Give deaf and hard-of-hearing children the chance to get education that enables them to become self-reliant and active citizens. The basic rights of deaf children and youth in Ethiopia are respected and deaf children and Youth have equal opportunities for development and participation. Vision: to see the deaf and destitute Children rise up to their potential in every sphere of life.
Goals:
·      Give information on the reasons and prevention of deafness to the people
·      Provide free education for the deaf and hearing destitute children at nursery, primary, and junior high school levels so that they become a valuable part of the community
·      Develop textbooks and other materials for the deaf
·      Provide skills training for young deaf people
·      Give information on HIV/AIDS and reproductive health to the deaf and their parents
·      Train parents of the deaf with the sign languages so that they are able to communicate with their children
·      Develop the teaching abilities of the staff to do their job better and effectively

Mission, Vision and Goals board in the office of the Director.

Although I didn’t get to spend too much time with this organization, I got to meet people through the school who cared deeply about the students. They understand how precious and important each life is. Yes these kids might have a hearing problem, but they are smart. They are athletic. They are creative. When I talked to the young social worker, she said her favorite part of her job was interacting with the students, and being able to communicate with deaf individuals in the community. When I mentioned to different people in the community what organization I worked for almost all of them knew of the school. They might not have known too much about it, but its name was recognizable. What this showed me, is that although they are making a huge impact in the community they work with and with the 265 students, there is still more work to be done in the community with awareness. And that’s why SLTSSA was created. Since it was created many kids and adults have been identify as being deaf and been help. Families are learning that their kids aren’t stupid, and many of them are willing to go to sign language class every day for at least 3 months. When I took the community classes and tried my best to communicate with those in class, I was surprised at the dedication of these individuals coming back each day to learn so that they could communicate with each other and loved ones. I saw with my own eyes, the joy and happiness on the faces of both the deaf and the hearing individuals in the class, as they were able to find a way through signing of communicating with each other. And, as I mentioned earlier, Abraham (the one who gave me my sign name), told me how happy it made it him for me to try to sign to him. I know that what both the School and the SLTSSA organization are doing is impacting lives. They are helping to integrate deaf and hearing people into one community, because we all are people.  

Wealth:

Another thing that surprised me was the wealth and the lack of wealth in Ethiopia. I know I mentioned this a few times in my blog, but I wanted to follow up some more. I knew that Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world, so I wasn’t expecting to see wealth. Most of the population lives in mud structures (even in the city), with no running water or electricity. They don’t have appropriate sewage and public urination (and worse) is a regular occurrence. There are many beggars-- disabled, mothers, and children. And from my conversations with some of my friends over there, they don’t have much money.

Every time they asked me how much a laptop or a plane ticket cost, I felt so awkward because I knew that $1200 is a lot of money in general but even more there. That’s like a year of pay for someone. Anyways, I wasn’t as surprised by the “poverty” of most of the population but I was surprised by the extreme wealth that was also there. Members of embassies (almost every country has an embassy in Addis), members of the African Union, government officials, diplomats, and other businessmen all live in Ethiopia. They live in huge houses and have a completely different standard of living. It was pretty shocking for me to see such a difference. Also, the fancy hotels like the Radisson or the Sheraton cater to the Western lifestyle include the prices, which could be $500 a room during a busy season. It’s almost hard to believe that some places in Ethiopia could charge that much, but obviously they aren’t catering to the locals, it’s to businessmen and other foreigners. I can’t even imagine how that wealth would make the locals feel. Are they angry or bitter? Or maybe it doesn’t even faze them? I don’t know. But what I do know is that the wealth shocked me… not the lack of wealth because that’s what I expected, but the few individuals with extreme wealth.

Development (Forward Thinking):

Going to Ethiopia showed me how little I know about the world and how ignorant I really am. Even though I can read research, guidebooks, and watch the news, nothing really compares to getting to know a place first hand. (This makes sense, as it’s the point of this global experience assignment in the first place.) Before I went to Ethiopia, I imagined it to have very little – very little development. And although in some areas –both physically and mentally—that is true, Ethiopia (or Addis) surprised me greatly with its development.

Ugh. I hate that I am just an ignorant American. But the truth is, I was surprised to encounter so many people who were forward thinkers, whose ideas were the same ideas that we discuss in class. Ideas to stimulate positive social change. The manager (a man) of SLTSSA was telling me the importance of having women in the equation and getting jobs. How it was “very good” for all of us. The president of the Ethiopian Civil Service University also said similar things as it strives to have more female applicants. They also created specific programs to help encourage women participation (and even won an award). The government or parliament actually has a lot of female representation in the country, I think more than the House of Representatives or the Senate does in the states. The Minister of Tourism was talking about the importance of education, and the country as a whole is trying to make changes.

Not only are there people who want to make big changes in their community, but they have similar views as many of us in the States. They aren’t just “helpless.” They have some strong-minded people ready to make a difference. And not only in the thinking category but development in terms of infrastructure is also at an exciting time for Ethiopia. Many building are being built and many areas are being updated as I said with electricity and sewage. A better system of transportation with a train will come in the next 3-5 years. The tourism market will increase. This is an exciting time of development and rebirth and I had no idea… It’s just another thing I can thank Ethiopia for, opening my eyes to realize that I impose my own thoughts on others and have lots of my own assumptions that aren’t correct... and that our perspective comes from our own very narrow lens. I must continue to expand my perspective on life by continue to meet others and get to know them!

Destruction and Healing:

As I mentioned in my blog earlier, we visited the “Red Terror” Museum, which gave us a glimpse into the history of Ethiopia, filled with communism, death, military rule and genocide. I had no idea of the tragedies that occurred in Ethiopia, but once again I was stunned by the sin and hatred of humanity. I don’t understand how people could kill their neighbors or friends this way. I couldn’t stand hearing about the ways they tortured people. And worse was the pain that was in the eyes of our tour guide, who himself was tortured and jailed for over 8 years.

The military used fear to control the people in Ethiopia. Killing and scaring innocent people in front of them to prove the point that they have the power, and they aren’t afraid of using it. They suppressed education and intellectuals. The military feared them because they understood the power of knowledge and they didn’t want anyone to have it, which reminds me of the importance of education. And although today some of the murders and torturers roam around Ethiopia free, I am amazed by the healing that has occurred. Healing not in the sense that everything is fine and that we can justify what happened in the past, because we cannot, but healing in the sense that some of those who have come through alive have started to build a life for themselves, some even with families. As I mentioned, the museum is not funded by the government or a non-profit organization, but by private donors and everyday donations. It stands as memory of the history of Ethiopia, but at the same time it stands as a statement and a reminder that this cannot happen again. Although we can’t go back in time and erase history, we can try to learn from it and not allow it to happen again. And in a collective community like Ethiopia, I pray that it never does again.

"Never Ever Again"


Reverse Culture shock:

I knew that it would be difficult to come back after such an enriching experience, but it got even more difficult as I went back to work. After having an amazing time and almost not wanting to leave, I knew it would be difficult to come back here, but I also knew that eventually I would fall back into my routine of my life. And I was scared that I would forget my experience and the people I met, and instead get caught up in the life I have here… So far, this is how I feel.

I’ve constantly been thinking about my experience in Ethiopia. What an incredible learning experience. What will I take with me? How can I help? What can I do in my life? What I know is that being back at work, I noticed a lot of things that make me wonder what I am doing here. The things that we care about here seem so insignificant to the things I saw in Ethiopia. When we “need” things here the word has a totally different meaning then in Ethiopia. And at times, it makes me sad, disturbed, and maybe even a little annoyed to be back. That’s probably a bit harsh, but I did have a moment where I actually thought to myself, “what am I doing here?” BUT what God has revealed to me while I’ve been back is that God has me here, now, in the United States, in LA at Pepperdine for a reason. And while I am here, I don’t have to choose between all or nothing (between America and Ethiopia), but instead they can both be a part of me. This is where I am now, I hope I can take what I learned and apply it here. I learned a lot from the people in Ethiopia. I saw people who were striving to help those around them – those living in their community. Although I’m not in Ethiopia anymore, I can learn from those I met and continue to strive to help those in my community... whether at Pepperdine, or in L.A. or Malibu -- wherever I am, I must strive to serve someone that is not me. Wherever I am I can be a light in this world. I’m thankful for being a part of the Ethiopian culture even if it was just for a blink of an eye, and I know that I will go back one day. In the meantime, I hope many others will have the opportunity to have a new experience. And I will always keep Ethiopia, the people, the images, and the community in my heart as a constant reminder to live for more.


THANK YOU:

To all my friends and family who have walked with me in my life’s journey, I thank you. And as God continues to work on softening my heart and leading me in incredible directions, I am blessed to have your encouragement. Ethiopia will be another experience that will add to the person I am today, so thank you for being part of my never-ending transformation and journey with God. Love you.






No comments:

Post a Comment