Sunday, December 8, 2013

Day 9: Wednesday (11/20): Sign Langauge Class and Visiting the School


Wednesday, 11/20. Today, I went to SLTSSA at 9 a.m. to go to their community sign language class. These are the classes for family members of deaf kids, social service community members, or older deaf kids. I knew it was going to be in Amharic, but I thought it would be fun and interesting to observe. Things I learned:
1. Class does not start on time.
2. Lots of people come late (up to 30 to 45 minutes late)
3. The professor doesn't come on time either
4. They spend 45 minutes just writing on the words they will practice on the chalk board
5. Students (adults, family members, etc) are really engaged. They have created a type of community.
6. I'm excited to go back tomorrow! (Plus, Nicole, is going to join me to help with observations)


The sign language classroom. (See the Amharic Sign Alphabet above all of the words.)

The teacher knew English and I met him yesterday so he did translate some of the words for me, he also made one of the community workers translate for me. So I got to learn some new signs. BUT, halfway through class, Gosh Demere pulled me out of class. He walked me over to the Director's office of the school of the deaf and told me a lot of interesting things about the school:

Before 1963, there were no provisions for the deaf. As I've said before, most people believed that it was a curse from God. He and a few others wanted to open a school for the deaf, but it was a really hard concept for others (especially the Minister of Education) to accept since it was a new idea. Most people thought people who were deaf couldn't learn. Finally, the Church of Christ Mission, helped them start a school in a house with 3 children. The next year, they built the school and had 37 students enrolled. They decided to name the school (in Amharic) after the emperor's son, because in Amharic the word for deaf means stupid. The Late Emperor himself visited the school, and it became "the talk of the town." People were starting to accept deaf kids could be taught.

Then Demere went to Denmark to be trained in Sign Language teaching, where he was encouraged, and brought back some of the tools to Ethiopia. That is when they decided they needed to develop Ethiopian Sign Language. Demere worked with a few other deaf schools (and individuals who were deaf) to develop the official Ethiopian Sign Language. It took two years and it's the only official African sign language. Although it's based on ASL, they had to come up with the Amharic alphabet letters and a way represent the 7 different sounds for each letter. Then they added some signs for words don't exist in America. It's pretty amazing that he was one of the ones who developed it. 

The original (and still used) Ethiopian Sign Language book.


The school itself is now an inclusive school. It is good for both the hearing and deaf children to learn about each other, to see that they are the same except just hearing. These students learn that both can make mistakes and both can do really well. It's also important for deaf students not to think that they need to be separated in special schools, but that they can learn together with hearing students. Now the school has 265 students from Kindergarten (Grade A) to 8th Grade. 177 are deaf and 88 are hearing. Last year, all their 8th grade students (both deaf and hearing) pasted the national exam!


Demographics of the School.


After I learned a lot of great things about the school. The director introduced me to about 6 classes. I had to try to introduce myself in sign and then tell them where I was from. Then the director told them I would come back next year and teach them English! AH! Pressure.

Then I walked around with the social worker of the school. She was pretty young. Her role was to update the children's profiles and grades and send the information to the many people (in Denmark) sponsoring the school. She also wrote up descriptions of the events and celebrations that took place during the year so that the sponsors can know what is happening at the school. She not only has to do this for the 265 children at Makanisa, but also at two related countryside schools. So she has a total of about 600 students to constantly update.

Then after I talked to her for a while, I decided to take my lunch that I had packed. Demere let me sit in this nice board room. I probably spent and hour and a half in the room eating and journaling. I wrote down my observations from today and started to reflect on things that have happened during this trip. It was actually a good time to think about what I am learning and thankful for. Finally, I decided that I would say hi to the guys at SLTSSA. They were sitting outside of their building, so I spent the next hour and half waiting with them (for my taxi) and talking to them. Lots of people came and go. It was casual but nice.

Then I was picked up and dropped off at the Radisson Hotel. Amy, Nicole and I were going to meet up for dinner. Once they finally arrived we had dinner at the restaurant next door. My huge veggie burger and fries (and bottle water) plus tax and service charge was less have $5. Just to put some things in perspective for you.

Other observations:
Greetings: So Mindi told us that a way of showing respect (I think to someone older) when greeting is to take your left hand when shaking hands and touch your forearm (but closer to your elbow). BUT actually, people at the organizations (like 4 different people) shook my hand and then we touch shoulders. Sometimes both shoulders. I think it’s a sign of friendship which means I am getting closer with them! That’s pretty cool.

Classes: Today I also observed older kids in younger classes. I know it's because they didn't have the opportunity when they were younger, but I still wonder if it’s hard to be in a class with much younger students.

No comments:

Post a Comment