Sunday, December 8, 2013

Day 12: Saturday (11/23): NGO Fair and "Red Terror"

--> Saturday, 11/23. Today was quite a day (and a long one). It's about 11:30 p.m. and I'm just getting to bed. We started off the morning by going to the NGO fair. Every month at the International Evangelical Church, a group of NGOs (non governmental organizations) get together and sell their products. It was really great. One, because we got to see a lot of different social enterprise. Two, because we got to support a lot of social enterprises, and three, because I got a lot a great stuff like an amazing animal quilt! I am so excited! Some organizations' items were made by HIV individuals, disabled individuals, etc. It was really neat and rewarding to be able to support them.


My new quilt! (And Mindi's and Amy's)


After three or so hours shopping, we went to lunch at this delicious Indian restaurant. It was very spicy, but very good. It was fun to be having Indian food in Ethiopia. I love the mix of cultures!

Then we went to the Red Terror Museum. It is a private museum (not supported by the government or a NGO) that gives the history of Ethiopia from the last emperor to communism and then to the period of time called Red Terror. It reminded me of the Rwandan genocide, and it was so sad. Similar to the Holocaust museum in LA, our docent was a survivor, who was in prison for 8 years and tortured. It was just devastating to see how humanity could be so evil. And to see that we never learn from our mistakes. And I couldn't believe that it was so recent. Some of it happening while I was alive. But it is also crazy to see how far Ethiopia's come in the last 20 years. From famine, droughts, mass deaths, torture to this new and up and coming place.



The Red Terror Museum
"As if I bore them all in one night, they slew them in a single night."


I honestly had tears in my eyes. I'm not sure if I can really process or write down in words how it made me feel. And I wish I could explain all the history I learned, but I don't think I have the energy or the emotional capacity right now. (If you are interested, please look it up online.)

After that we went home, and got to have dinner with the Minister of Culture and Tourism. The conversation we had with him was rich and very educational. And really... who gets the opportunity to have dinner with someone like the Minister of Culture and Tourism for the country?! Not very many people. He told us all sorts of things about Ethiopia. I'm amazed with Ethiopia, and it really has a special place in my heart. I WILL come back here, and I really hope more people have the opportunity to meet and fall in love with this country like I am. It is so rich in religious, historical, and political history. And the cultural landscape is so diverse. With over 100 languages spoken and 80 nationalities, it is amazing. And as I said the only African state not to be colonized, it is so unique. This is really a changing point for Ethiopia, and I see lots of progress and growth in its future, and that is really exciting.

I know this is a short blog, but today was fill with so much rich and important information, and I am very thankful. Understanding the history of a culture is so important to building relationships and becoming more loving human beings... (That's what I think at least.) I know there is SO MUCH more for me to learn. And I hope that I can continue to be a part of Ethiopia even after I physically leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment