Sunday, December 8, 2013

Day 14: Monday (11/25): My Last Day at SLTSSA and Makanisa School

Monday, 11/25. Today was our last days at our organizations, and for some reason I was a bit nervous. But as always, God provided an awesome last day. I went to sign language class and saw all the same people. I even got to take a picture of them. Also, on Friday, I had brought the notebooks and pencils to Wondimagagn, and today he gave them out in class. Even though I was so embarrassed. They were all so thankful, even thought I felt like it was such a little gift. I was really touched. I will miss being in class with them and trying to communicate with them. I don't know if I'll ever see them again, but I know they will be in my memories and prayers forever.

My bench buddy in class!

My classmates from Sign Language Class


After class, I went to see the Director of the school to give out the color pencils and slap bracelets to the kids. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough for all 265 students, so we just went to the two youngest classes. I handed them each a colored pencil, and then showed them the slap bracelets and THEY LOVED THEM. I'm not surprised because the first time I went to Africa, my friend Meredith gave me some to give to the kids and they absolutely adored them. Even the Director and the teachers wanted one! The kids were also VERY VERY VERY thankful. (and obviously so cute.)


Slap bracelets and cute kids!


After the director wanted me to take a picture with all of the teachers. They were all in a room (I think it was a break) in their white lab coats. I took lots of pictures with them. I told them I would be coming back in 2015... so I hope that happens (especially since I'm suppose to be their English teacher.)

Teachers (Director next to me in the suit jacket)
More teachers! The older one next to me was my sign language teacher at SLTSSA as well! He works at both places.


After I hung out with the kids, I wanted to make sure I said my goodbyes. I went to see the manager of SLTSSA (Fikremarcus) who was back from his weeklong training. We chatted for awhile, and I hope that I can keep in contact with him. I will want to know the progress of the organization and their projects and hopefully continue a partnership. I also stopped by to say hi and bye to Abayneh, my computer teacher friend. There will be a lot of people who I will miss who made this experience such a rich one... especially those who reminded me that the most important part is God.

Saying goodbye (or see you later) is always sad, but I couldn't ask for a better last day. I feel like I got to leave on such a happy note. And I am really encouraged to come back again, and help build an international programs or missions trip or both here.

After I said my final goodbyes, I met up with Nicole and Amy at Connected in Hope (the organization Nicole is working with). Former fuel wood carrying women are able to stop carrying wood by weaving scarves. So obviously, I had to support them! Then we went to our favorite pizza place (YES FASTING PIZZA is the best). We took our awesome driver Amanual to lunch with us. He taught us even more Amharic. It was wonderful.

I really feel like my Amharic has really grown, as well as my sign language (now I just have to figure out of all my signs actually translate into ASL). Next, was another stop to get more coffee. Then we headed to the Golf Course to meet up with Solomon (Minister for Culture and Tourism) for dinner. Dinner was great. He is such a wonderful man with a lot of great stories and information (and very funny). He offered us all a job in the Ethiopian Tourism Business! Hm.. It's an option!!!

I honestly can't believe this is my last night in Ethiopia (until I come again). This trip was too short. There is so much more to Addis and Ethiopia that we didn't get to see. So much incredible history, beautiful landscapes and wonderful people that we weren't able to meet yet. I'm sad to say goodbye to the people here. But I know God is planting a seed. Whether I will get to spend much more time here or not, I am beyond thankful for the opportunity to be here. God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment