Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Day 1: Travel

Hi Friends! Wow, I can't believe today is the day I leave for Ethiopia! It's a 12 hour flight to Istanbul and then another 5 hour flight to Addis. The good news is that my friend Nicole will be flying with me to keep me company.

The question I've gotten a lot the last few days is.. "Are you ready?" The easy answer is: "Almost!" I'm just about finished packing with only a few more things to do, but in reality I'm still praying that God will prepare my heart for what I know will be a huge adventure and opportunity to open my eyes to a new culture, people, and plan for my life. There's so much more I wish I had done before I left, I just started to learn some basic words in Amharic the language of Ethiopia, but it is honestly very hard. But I know that just trying to learn and say greetings in Amharic will go a long way with the people I meet, showing them that I do care about their language and culture. (Well that's what I think and what I've noticed in the past, I'll get back to you on that one, once I try it out.) I really wish I researched more about the city and country, the good news is that I'm bringing a travel book on Ethiopia on the plane so I should have plenty of time to catch up.

Well, I don't know when I'll blog next, but I do know I will be in Ethiopia when I do! Thanks everyone for the prayers, support and encouragement. As I start on this journey I mediate on this verse: Psalm 51:10-12 "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." I know it's important to get my heart in the right place, AND to take time to pray for the people of Ethiopia, the ones I will encounter and the ones that I won't be fortunate enough to meet.

LOVE,
Brittany

2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time, Britt. Looking forward to seeing what God has to teach you in this time of adventure and new experiences about himself, His character, and His kingdom. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're praying for you and the people you will meet. We are all SO EXCITED for you! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return! Take care!
    Hugs!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete